I’m not a mom, I just follow them on Instagram. From a non-mom, I can tell you that there is a fine line between hilarious, adorable, and joyful sharing of motherhood and the nerve-grating, awkward, less-than-charming oversharing that can tend to permeate a feed.
I rounded up some of my favorite parenting Instagram accounts, and they all nailed the secret sauce of charming parent-related posting: humor, honesty, and personality. These accounts aren’t full of glossed-over moments or unrealistic cheeriness. These accounts are about the creepy things your 5-year-old says, finding the funny in everyday madness, and how cute and chaos often go hand-in-hand.
Give them a follow!
1. Our own SpitfireMom Amy Morrison @pregnantchicken – This mom is sharing on the daily. Sometimes it’s a body positive pregnancy post, other times it’s a selfie of her and a wild haired toddler. It’s all adorable.
2. @averageparentproblems – Memes capturing your exact thoughts during the craziest moments of parenthood.
3. Sarah Fortune + Iris Gill @sarahfortune – By far my favorite child of Instagram, Iris Gill is an articulate, hilarious, and imaginative. Her mom captures the funniest shots of Iris, like videos of her wildest questions or Iris dressed up as Tom Petty for Halloween. Any time I’m having a bad day, this account cheers me up.
4. @assholeparents – Oh, you sang “Happy Birthday” to your child, on their birthday? And gave her a tiara? What an asshole. This account is filled with the funniest kid meltdowns, and the asshole reasons parents caused their kids to shed tears. Hilarious.
5. itsmomtastic – All the things you want to say about motherhood, said here. This mom-centered account is honest, self-depricating, and celebratory.
What Insta accounts cheer you up? Tell us in the comments!