It’s shaping up to be an amazing summer. Last week, SCOTUS announced its history ruling on same-sex marriage. The 5-4 ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges made same sex marriages legal in all states.
I was hiking with my husband in Boulder, CO., a few days after the ruling, and still honestly shocked it happened.
“Gay couples now have the same rights as you and I do….Can you imagine?” I asked him. I knew it would happen in our lifetime, but I never expected it to happen so soon.
“I don’t have to imagine. It’s here. It’s real,” he said.
We both grew up in rural Okla., and watched our LBGT friends or family hide relationships. Southeastern Oklahoma isn’t exactly a hot bed of human rights activity, understanding, or diversity. As an intensely curious, people-loving extrovert, I longed to meet and know people with different views, opinions, and stories.
Luckily, you don’t have to live in a place like Denver or San Fran to support the LBGT community, learn more about the issues they face, or champion the cause. While same-sex marriage is now legal, there is still much to be done to ensure LBGT families enjoy the equal rights they deserve.
Below, we rounded up some amazing and adorable LBGT families to diversify your Instagram feed. These accounts are sharing personal + powerful stories, challenging the image of a “normal” family.
If you’re anything like us here at Spitfiremom Society, you will fall in love.
1. @kordalenkaleb – You’ve likely seen these two. They’re Instafamous for sharing their everyday lives as dads.
2. @eandjspop – Jerry of South Carolina documents his journey as a dad and life with two kids.
3. @therealmelroy – Melanie Roy shares life and motherhood with her partner, Vanessa.
4. @scoutmasterson – Scout Masterson and his husband, Bill Horn, are the Guncles (gay uncles, y’all) from Tori & Dean.
5. @wvgaydad – Christopher, a gay dad from West Virginia, documents life with his husband and their sweet daughter.
6. @duggantierney – Two Aussie dads, and their stylish 4-year-old. If you love micro fashion, this one is for you.
7. @a.brand.new.day – Two moms raising a baby, and occasional taking killer underwater photos.